Monday, July 19, 2010

Potty Training - How does it work?

Summer time was always my choice for potty training. Since it's summer time I thought I would share my story and how we made it work.
I have potty trained twins, a boy, girls a single baby and a dog. Okay, the dog is a little different but I did train him! For the twins we chose summer time because they could run around in the back yard without a diaper until I could see them pee. Funny thing is, they were just as amazed that they were peeing as I tried to be. One of the first things you need to know as a potty trainee, is what it feels like when you need to go. You can't learn that if you don't know your going. This is why summer time was our choice training time.
The second thing we started was potty charts with rewards. At first each child got a reward for sitting on the potty. Usually a sticker to go on a chart. After three stickers they were rewarded with a fruit snack. Not too many, as they will sit on the potty a lot to earn rewards. After a couple of days of sitting and getting rewards, we worked on peeing to get rewards. Even a dribble got praised and rewarded. It takes awhile, but making it fun to learn, giving rewards and lavishing a lot of praise will make it easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment