Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Making Christmas Ornaments


Every year our kids make ornaments for the Christmas tree. Since they were little we have been collecting them and storing them. We have simple ones made of construction paper, plaster of paris hand prints, and even collectibles we have been given by the grandparents. While our tree may not win most exquisite tree of the year, it is top notch in our children's eyes. I love to see the joy in their eyes when they remind Grandma that they made this one when they were 2 years old, or that they painted that one when they were 4. We have enjoyed reminiscing about the ballerina ornament my daughter received when she was in the Nutcracker Ballet, and the boy scout figurine my son received last year. It's fun to see them talk about their past and remind them of all the fun they have had and all the memories that are stored in their hearts. As the years go on I know our memories will stay fresh as we spend time each year decorating the tree and talking.

My kids do not know it, but when they get married I will present them with a box of ornaments for their first tree. Maybe I will even include a new ornament for the occasion.

No comments:

Post a Comment