Friday, April 2, 2010

Ideas for Spending Quality Time With Your Kids

I realize that when I was a child we always sat at the dinner table together. Mom was always working away in the kitchen late in the afternoon. We knew it was time for dad to be home when our mom asked us to set the table. My children today have no idea what setting the table really means. Back in my childhood, setting the table required table clothes, centerpieces, proper table settings, plates and salad bowls. Such a far cry from what I require of my children. We're lucky to get forks all the same size. It's a really good day if they remember the paper napkins plopped down in the middle of the table.

A year ago I got very "susie homemakerish", yes I know that is not a word. I decided that we should teach our children how to set a proper table, and enjoy it. Wow, what an eye opener for all of us. It took us a good hour to prepare the table, put all the food into dishes and find a center piece worthy of the 1940's. All of that preparation and we were done in less then 15 minutes. Another hour to clean up and I wasn't sure I appreciated doing all that work.

One thing I did learn, is that spending time with my children to build those family dinner memories is worth the effort. My table may not be a Better Homes and Garden cover page, but you can bet we will try to bring back dinners together, where we talk and listen and enjoy each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment